September 9, 2013 14 Comments
Last Monday, I featured a simple and delicious gluten-free rosemary cracker recipe.
Today, I present a simple raw cracker recipe. A dehydrated cracker consisting of fresh tomatoes, dried basil, sunflower seeds and flaxseeds (linseeds).
I said simple. Not quick. 🙂
These crackers are free of added oil, gluten and refined sugar. They team well with hommus, pesto or nut cheese, and are delicious plain. They are loaded with omega 3 essential fatty acids (EFAs).
Mat is the master of raw cracker preparation in this household.
1 cup of golden or brown flaxseeds (or a combination), soaked in 1 cup of water for 90 minutes
1/4 cup of chia seeds, soaked in 1/2 cup of water for 90 minutes
3 cups raw sunflower seeds
2 tomatoes, stalks removed, and cut in half
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried basil
You also need:
3 dehydrator trays
3 teflex sheets
A food procesor
1. Add the sunflower seeds to the food processor. Pulse several times to break up some of the seeds.
2. Add the remaining ingredients (including the soak water for the seeds) to the food processor, and process for 1 minute.
3. Divide the mixture into thirds. Spread it thinly across 3 trays covered with teflex sheets, using a spatula. Wet the spatula periodically to assist the process. Once the mixture is spread across the teflex sheets, use a sharp knife to ‘score’ the mixture (that is, cut the mixture into your preferred cracker size). Put the trays into the dehydrator.
4. Dehydrate the mixture on 46 C/115 F. After about 2 or 3 hours of dehydration, remove the mixture from the teflex sheets* (this speeds up the process, allowing the air to circulate around the mixture more freely). Return the trays to the dehydrator for another 5 – 6 hours. Check on the crackers periodically during this time. They are ready when you are happy with their crispness.
5. Store crackers in an airtight container.
* To remove the mixture from the teflex sheets, follow these steps: Remove a tray from the dehydrator. Place another, clean dehydrator tray on top of the tray, directly on top of the mixtute. Then, flip the trays over, so that the clean tray is now on the bottom. Remove the top tray, to reveal the teflex sheet. Peel the teflex sheet off the mixture. It should peel away easily. Slide the tray into the dehydrator, and repeat the process with the remaining trays.
The Tiny Vegans’ Verdicts
I am happy to report that all of the tiny vegans are enthusiastic about raw crackers. 🙂
Sharing with Healthy Vegan Fridays.