{Recipe; Vegan MoFo} Blueberry Cake

blueberry cake

This gluten-free cake is loaded with fruit and flavour. It is delicious and moreish, and contains millet flour and sorghum flour.

I discovered this Laurie Sadowski recipe at Uberdish.

The original recipe uses 2 cups of blueberries. The first time I made this recipe, I used 1.5 cups of frozen organic blueberries. I didn’t allow the blueberries to defrost. After I added them (as the last step, thankfully!), the batter began to solidify! I had to work quickly to spread the batter evenly in the cake tin.  I am assuming this is unique to these particular gluten-free flours, as I have added frozen blueberries to spelt and wheat flours, and never had a problem with the batter solidifying.

So, I recommend using fresh blueberries, or allowing frozen ones to defrost adequately. 🙂 Despite this ‘error’, the cake turned out beautifully and I was keen to make it again.

blueberry2I made a couple of minor changes: I used coconut cream rather than coconut milk (as this is what I usually have in my pantry) and raw sugar (rather than an unrefined sugar, like coconut). Also, I used millet flour instead of quinoa flour (thanks for the tip Angela!). My cake took 55 minutes to cook.

I do not own a stand mixer, and using a basic hand mixer for this recipe was a little bit challenging, as the batter kept climbing up the beaters! It is not impossible though, and I did not want the absence of a stand mixer to prevent me from making this scrumptious cake.

**The recipe is available here.**

Strawberry Cake

On the next occasion, I replaced the blueberries with 1 cup of fresh, chopped strawberries. I scooped the batter into a loaf tin, and the cake was ready in 45 mins.

strawberrycake2

Strawberry cake

In winter, strawberries are grown in sub-tropical areas of Australia. I think of strawberries as a ‘winter fruit’ because they are abundant and cheap in my region in the colder months of the year. Summer-grown strawberries travel further to reach my part of the country, so they are generally more pricey (and less abundant).

strawberrycake3

Strawberry cake

The Tiny Vegans’ Verdicts

The tiny vegans enjoyed the strawberry cake. The school-aged kids were fortunate to be treated to a couple of small slices in their lunchboxes.

What did they think of the blueberry cake?

Well…they didn’t know about it! [shh, don’t tell them]. I made it while they were at school and pre-school. Little Baker, who was at home, may have had a small slice – I can’t remember. Mat and I polished it off over a couple of days – all in the name of recipe research, of course. 😉

Which do you prefer – blueberries or strawberries?

19 Responses to {Recipe; Vegan MoFo} Blueberry Cake

1. playlovevegan says:

Oh strawberry cake yum!

Your cakes look beautiful! I love the dusting of icing sugar on top of your blueberry cake. Great idea 🙂 I, too, love the thought of a strawberry cake. For nice fresh ones, I will have to wait for next year, though. Thank you for the link back to my blog. I’m so happy you tried one of Laurie’s recipes. I’ve made so many of her goodies and they are all delicious. Can’t wait to see what you’re making next!

Thank YOU Angela. This is the second fabulous cake you have introduced me to.
      I can’t seem to track down potato starch otherwise I would make your flour blend and try a gluten-free version of Chloe’s Mocha Almond Fudge Cake. 🙂
      I thought the blueberry cake would look fancy with a bit of icing sugar. 🙂 It certainly doesn’t need frosting- the cake is very flavoursome.

3. kitwocky says:

Looks delicious. Will give them a try!

I use coconut cream as well…if you want milk just water it down ;). Love the cake and will give it a go when we get anything other than apples and pears to put into it 🙂

Do the QLD strawberries make it down your way in winter, or are they too pricey? I rarely buy Victorian strawberries in summer- after paying $3 for two punnets in peak QLD season, I am not inclined to pay $4 or $5 for one punnet in summer.

• narf77 says:

We used to buy flats of Strawberries for $6 in W.A. when we lived there and I tend to use what is in season where we end up so at the moment it’s apples and pears and strangely, mangoes! ;).

Mangoes in Tassie!
        My 3 boys shared their first mango of the season yesterday. Very exciting! (not grown by us, but the first one we saw in a shop). At $3 a pop, I can’t wait for peak season when they are markedly cheaper. 🙂
        🙂

• narf77 says:

We had a plethora of mangoes mid winter at $1 a mango. NO idea where they were from but it was Australia. Maybe they are working on an out of season mango? Wish they would work on avocados 😉

5. Poppy says:

How interesting that the frozen berries caused the batter to solidify?! Bizarre! Looks wonderful though! 🙂

I know! It was bizarre. 🙂
      Maybe it was the xanthan gum. I’d never encountered this problem before. But, you live and learn- I won’t make that mistake again.

6. Andra Muhoberac says:

I don’t often make sweets because our family are more into savoury, but these really do look good! Maybe I should start baking!

Hi Andra!
      Both of these cakes were delicious. I am making more cakes than usual as I am using Vegan MoFo as an opportunity to develop some gluten-free baking skills. I am happy that I will come away from this month with a delicious cake recipe (and yummy cupcakes).
      I hope you are well. 🙂

7. Pingback: {Recipe; Vegan MoFo} Sesame, Shiitake and Greens stir fry | Made of Stars

8. Pingback: {Recipe} Chocolate, Raspberry and Walnut Cupcakes | Made of Stars