{Recipe; Vegan MoFo} Carob Cinnamon Chia Pudding

chiapud1

I served the tiny vegans a decadent breakfast today. Yes, on a weekday morning. Weren’t they lucky?!

Thanks Vegan MoFo for keeping me motivated and inspired to experiment with new recipes. Even at 7am. ๐Ÿ™‚

The tiny vegans usually eat porridge (oatmeal) for breakfast, with soy or rice milk, ground flax seeds, ground chia seeds, and a drizzle of maple syrup. Sometimes they have toast. Occasionally they have porridge, followed by toast. You get the gist. ๐Ÿ™‚
chiapud2Today they all had Carob Cinnamon Chia Pudding. I whipped it up in less than 5 minutes in a high-speed blender, and refrigerated it for 20 minutes before serving.

This is my first experience with chia pudding. I was delighted by the simple and quick preparation.*

When I first read about chia pudding, I was a little underwhelmed. But I have since discovered that a mediocre sounding dessert actually makes a fancy breakfast. ๐Ÿ™‚

chiapud3The pudding contains almond milk (unsweetened), medjool dates, raw carob powder, cinnamon, vanilla extract, black chia seeds, and white chia seeds.

I made a few changes to Dreena Burton’s Chocolate Coconut Chia Pudding. Her recipe is available here.

The changes include:

• Using raw carob powder instead of cocoa powder.
  • Omitting the shredded coconut from the pudding mixture.
  • Adding 1/8 tsp of ground cinnamonย to the blender jug with the other ingredients.
  • Dividing the mixture between 3 small serving dishesย prior to refrigeration, rather than adding it to a single, large bowl.
  • Sprinkling the top of the puddings with desiccated coconut and almond meal prior to refrigeration, and addingย sliced strawberriesย prior to serving.

Also, I opted to use only (medjool) dates to sweeten the pudding, and did not add the ‘optional’ coconut sugar, maple syrup or choc chips.ย I used a combination of black and white chia seeds.

The recipe makes 3 small (child-sized) serves. ย Next time, I’ll double the batch to ensure that the adults don’t miss out. I had to be content with devouring the pudding mixture left behind in the blender jug. ๐Ÿ™‚

This is definitely a viable weekday breakfast option, andย I am keen to try other flavour combinations.

The Tiny Vegans’ Verdicts

My daughter was the first to discover that chia pudding awaited her on this glorious spring morning.

Her verdict: ‘This is the BEST’!

chia4

Look at that determination!

I gave Little Baker a couple of tablespoons worth (that I pinched from 4-year-old Tiny Vegan’s dish), and he went to work on it enthusiastically.

6-year-old Tiny Vegan requested additional strawberries.

4-year-old Tiny Vegan was thrilled to be given something resembling dessert for breakfast.

6-year-old Tiny Vegan appeared to be taking his time. After eating about a third of his pudding, he announced:

‘Mummy I do like it… but you know when you eat too much of something you like that it starts to taste yucky’.

Perhaps it was too rich for him.

It appears to be quite filling. My daughter and 4- year-old Tiny Vegan did not require additional breakfast. ย 6-year-old Tiny Vegan had a small bowl of porridge.

Little Baker, his face smeared in pudding, called out ‘more’, ‘more’, so we gave him his brother’s leftovers. That worked out well. ๐Ÿ™‚

* The photography took longer than the active preparation stage. ๐Ÿ™‚

What mediocre dessert do you regard as a decadent breakfast?ย

14 Responses to {Recipe; Vegan MoFo} Carob Cinnamon Chia Pudding

1. Jess says:

Love chia puddings! I make mine exactly the same but add vanilla protein powder instead of vanilla extract. LOVE CHIA!!!

Hi Jess! ๐Ÿ™‚

The protein powder is a great idea! Maca powder would be good too, I imagine (but not as tasty as vanilla protein powder).

I hope you are well.

2. perfect timing, I’ve been planning on making a chia pudding this week and I’ll use your recipe. Thanks!

It certainly looks to be baby approved Ally ;). I haven’t tried making chia pudding yet but have lots of recipes saved for when summer is a bummer and I NEED something cool for breakfast…your’s will be numero uno ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi narf7,

I was impressed by how simple it was, and how tasty. It would be a perfect summer breakfast.

haha, definitely baby-approved. ๐Ÿ™‚

Is it heating up down your way? Spring has definitely arrived here.

• narf77 says:

We had one day of semi frigid lukewarm sunshine and now its back to freezing cold mornings, blankets over legs and boosting Brunhilda (our wood burning stove) to the max to keep the house (and basking dogs) warm. I think the wind just came back from Antarctica! We even had snowfall here (not on Serendipity Farm…too close to the river but on Ben Lomand and Mt Wellington) so that should tell you how cold it is!

WOW! ๐Ÿ˜€ Looks fantastic – right up my alley!

I think you’ll like it.
      It was really quick to whip up. I suppose you could make it the night before, and have it waiting in the fridge for you when you stumble out of bed in the morning. ๐Ÿ™‚

Yummy! You’re one great mamma! I think my kids would be thrilled if I serve this to them some time soon. It will be a nice change. I tend to serve the same thing, like oatmeal. I like that this recipe is just as easy.

6. Pingback: {Recipe; Vegan MoFo} Chocolate and Chai: Celebrating my 100th post | Made of Stars

I Will make this tonight & make some extra for breakfast tomorrow morning, Ally! It looks so special & superb even! yummmmm! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ