{Vegan MoFo} Fava Bean and Wakame Tempeh ‘Chips’

byrontempeh1***

This scrumptious tempeh is soy-free. It’s made from fava beans and wakame (seaweed). I bought this block at a local farmers’ market.

Some of you will recall, the last time I served tempeh in my home it didn’t go down too well with the tiny vegans. I was hoping for success this time around.

byrontempeh2***

byrontempeh3

I sliced the block of tempeh into 35 ‘chips’ and pan-fried them in a small quantity of olive oil.

byrontempeh4

I served the tempeh with a dipping sauce – a delightful, vibrant red, locally-produced Davidson Plum chilli sauce. They were a perfect match. A large garden salad accompanied the tempeh.

The Tiny Vegans’ Verdicts

I have to admit that I attempted to deceive my sons about the tempeh. I told them that I was preparing fava bean and wakame chips. I avoided use of the word tempeh. Our Least Adventurous Eater expressed enthusiasm and told me that the chips looked delicious. I thought I was so clever.

But, after eating a few, he said: ‘This is tempeh, isn’t it’?

Damn!

‘Yes, but it’s a different type’.

Of course, he didn’t eat anymore ‘chips’ and neither did his little brother. They stuck to the salad after that – and the sauce.

Little Baker kept dipping the same chip in the dipping sauce and eating only the sauce.

The rest of us, including my daughter – who wasn’t very keen on tempeh last time I served it – thoroughly enjoyed this meal. I have bought the fava bean and wakame variety a couple of times now, and am resigned to the fact that my sons aren’t interested.

I am looking forward to trying the other variety of non-soy tempeh – chickpea. Maybe the boys will like chickpea ‘chips’. 😉

Ingredient list

Ingredient list

For Byron Bay Tempeh stockists in Australia, click here.

Have you eaten non-soy tempeh?

13 Responses to {Vegan MoFo} Fava Bean and Wakame Tempeh ‘Chips’

1. Val says:

I haven’t , but I would love to try it. There’s a couple of women in Texas that make it and sell it, but I’ve never seen it in stores or anywhere here in California where I am.
    I guess I may have to just break down and by the cultures so I can try and make it at home. 🙂

I love broad beans…I love wakame…I wonder if this tempeh tastes like liver? Organic liver? Gotta say, if you got hold of some koji and got the boys to help you make your tempeh, it would go a long way towards them eating it and remember, most kids are fussy and eventually end up loving what they used to steer clear of. I remember recoiling in horror at olives whenever my mother used to eat them…now I adore them. The same can’t be said for tripe. Thank GOODNESS I am a vegan! 😉

3. Bonnie says:

That’s so cool! I’ve never seen non-soy tempeh, but I’d love to try it some day.

Hi Bonnie! I hope you can locate some soy-free tempeh near you some day soon. 🙂

• Bonnie says:

Me too! It would be great to have that option. I used to have a hard time finding any kind of tempeh, though, so for now I’m glad I’m able to get it at all 🙂
        How does the flavour compare to traditional tempeh?

4. Pingback: {Vegan MoFo} Muffins, More Chips and a Freaky Friday | Made of Stars

5. Linda says:

Bummer that the boys don’t like tempeh, and that they can pick it out. I have the same problem with eggplant. I try to chop it really finely and mix it into some meals (only because it’s my FAVOURITE vegetable), but eventually someone at the table will say, “This has eggplant in it, doesn’t it?” and then they all stop eating it! I thought by now they would have grown out of that…

hahaha! I laughed reading this post. My kids get fidgety when the tempeh comes out. Now, a non-soy tempeh – I haven’t seen it here, but will ask around. I think these chips and their sauce look delicious! A must to try!

7. Johanna GGG says:

never heard of non-soy tempeh – did it taste very different? I love the sound of tempeh chips – one of my huge successes with my 4 year old is tofu bacon – I made some tempeh bacon last night and it was better than usual (often I find it is not very crispy) – my 4 year old ate it because she loves the tofu bacon seasoning – she is pretty fussy about most food I cook but if there is maple syrup and smoky seasoning she might eat it

Hi!
      The company are expanding their stockists. You may be able to track it down in your local area eventually. I think it has a milder taste than traditional tempeh. I really like it. When I open the packet, a delightful sweet bun smell greets me. I don’t notice that with store-bought soy tempeh.

Waw, what an original recipe, Ally & a soy-free tempeh,…even better! Yummmm!