{Recipe; Vegan MoFo} Rosemary Crackers

Each week, I prepare a batch of hommus (hummus) for my kids’ lunchboxes.

I also pack their lunchboxes with vegetables – like celery, carrot, red capsicum (bell pepper), snow peas, cucumber – Β and crackers, for dipping.

Many store-bought crackers are loaded with sodium, and some contain palm oil (which I am actively trying to avoid). When I have the time, I prefer to make crackers at home.

rosemary1

These gluten-free crackers are made with almonds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, nutritional yeast, and brown rice flour. They are delicious and simple to prepare.

The recipe is available at Oh She Glows (click hereΒ for the recipe).

I make a few small changes to the original recipe:

• I use asafoetida (hing) powder instead of garlic powder.
  • I omit the thyme.
  • I use fresh rosemary from our herb garden instead of dried rosemary.
  • I add an additional 1/2 tablespoon of water.
  • I add an extra 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil.
  • My crackers cook in only 12 minutes.

crackersa

The Tiny Vegans’ Verdicts

These crackers are very popular with the Tiny Vegans (and their parents!). They all enjoy them plain, and my daughter particularly relishes eating her crackers with hommus.

16 Responses to {Recipe; Vegan MoFo} Rosemary Crackers

1. Happy Vegan Mofo! These crackers looks delicious. Looking forward to more recipes. It’s my first vegan mofo and its great to see so many people taking part. My theme is everything bean like and I’m following the ‘official’ theme as its my first one, which is proving more difficult than I first thought πŸ™‚ http://selfsufficientcafe.blogspot.co.uk/
    Jasmine x

2. VegCharlotte says:

Interesting idea to use hing instead of garlic powder! I’ll have to try it!

Hi Catherine! We always have a supply of hing powder in the house, but never garlic powder. I always use fresh garlic. I sometimes use hing instead of garlic when making hommus.

I keep my asafoetida triple bagged in the fridge to minimise that lovely tomcat urine scent that wafts out of the tiny pot whenever I am foolish enough to delve into it ;). Love this recipe and am going to mess about with a mess of crackers this weekend. I feel a hummus party coming on. Cheers for sharing these Ally πŸ™‚

haha! I can now assign asafoetida to the same category as tempeh: ‘foods that narf7 has ruined with grotesque imagery’. πŸ™‚

I hope you enjoy the crackers, and the hommus.

• narf77 says:

I hope so too as I am going to have to open that dreaded asafoetida jar to make it ;). If I don’t, there are a plethora of feral cats out there that will πŸ˜‰

4. Homemade crackers are the best! I really should make them more often then I do and stop buying the ones at the store. The flavor combo in these sounds delicious!

5. natarunmore says:

I will be making this that’s for sure, my kids love crackers and it’s so hard to find anything at the supermarket.. I’ve never heard of hing powder, I’ll have to look into it.. interesting. And any particular reason for omitting thyme? Just curious. Fresh herbs are always best, I will do the same with the rosemary πŸ™‚

Hi Natalie,

I hope you and your kids like them.

Hing powder is used in Indian cooking. It can be used as a substitute for garlic. I never buy garlic powder because we have access to fresh garlic all year round. Hing just seemed like a good substitute in this recipe.

I only omit the thyme because I didn’t have any the first time I made these crackers. I was really keen to use freshly picked rosemary (from our garden), so I have just continued on that path. I’m sure they would be delicious with thyme.
      πŸ™‚

6. Thanks for posting this, I have a batch cooling on the tray now πŸ™‚

7. Oooh, I want to try these. I have to provide a light supper for a training session in a week and a half and I really want to make everything from scratch and vegan. Crackers and hummus were going to be my centrepiece!

I made those crackers before from Angela’s blog & loved them so I will enjoy your adaptations too!, I can use fresh rosemary from my garden too! πŸ™‚ Yeahhh! Yummm!

9. Pingback: {Recipe;Vegan MoFo} Tomato and Basil Sunflower Flax Crackers | Made of Stars