{Recipe} Kahlua Chocolate Cheesecake (no-bake, vegan)

Kahlua. Chocolate. Maple Syrup. Walnuts. Cacao powder.

When a cake consists of these ingredients, you know it’s going to be scrumptious.

My mum celebrated her birthday last week. My sister, Susannah, flew up from Sydney for a couple of days to join the festivities.

Susannah and I prepared dinner – pumpkin lasagne with salad – and a birthday cake. We decided on a chocolate cheesecake that contains a delightful addition – Kahlua (a coffee liqueur).

kahluacake

This cheesecake recipe was created by Miriam of Mouthwatering Vegan Recipes, and she refers to it as: The Best-Ever Chocoholics ‘Cheesecake’. The recipe consists of a base and a filling, and does not require baking.

Miriam recommends that the cake languish in the fridge overnight before serving. We refrigerated our cake for a few hours, and that was sufficient. It was delicious the next day too, as the texture had continued to firm up, and the flavours had intensified.

kahluacake3

We found the original filling recipe to be a bit ‘grainy’ and ‘tofu-y’ for our liking – perhaps our brand of tofu was to blame!- so we used greater quantities of melted chocolate and sweetener.

We used vegan ‘milk chocolate’- style chocolate chips rather than dark chocolate; maple syrup instead of agave syrup. A couple of tablespoons of almond milk created a smoother texture.

The recipe lists Kahlua as an ingredient for the base. We added it to the filling too! This was definitely an ‘adults-only’ cake. You should have seen the Tiny Vegans’ faces when we told them that the cake was only for the adults*. We nearly had a mutiny on our hands!

kahluacake2

The Base –

We made very minor changes to the base.

The base consists of:

Biscuits, walnuts, coconut oil, cocoa powder (we used raw cacao powder), coffee powder (we omitted this), icing sugar, orange zest, kahlua, and salt.

The base is required to spend an hour in the fridge in order to ‘set’.

To prepare the base, refer to Miriam’s recipe here.

To prepare the filling, refer to the ingredients list and method detailed below:

Filling ingredients –

350g (12oz) firm silken tofu

300g (10oz) non-dairy sweetened chocolate chips, melted

3 Tbsp raw cacao powder, made into a paste with 50ml(3 Tbsp)of hot water – cool slightly

1 Tbsp icing sugar, sifted

1 Tbsp Kahlua

3 Tbsp maple syrup

2 Tbsp unsweetened almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)

Decoration: non-dairy white chocolate and dark chocolate

Method:

1. Place the ingredients into a food processor in the order that they are listed. Process until smooth. Add additional almond milk if the texture is too thick. Taste the filling before adding it to the base. If it is not sweet enough, add an additional tablespoon of maple syrup. You may want to add more Kahlua!

2. Remove the base from the fridge. Pour the filling into the base, and smooth the surface with a spatula.

3. Refrigerate for a few hours (or overnight).

4. For decoration, sprinkle finely grated white chocolate and dark chocolate across the surface of the cake. Decorate with small wedges of dark chocolate.

kahluacake5

*The Tiny Vegans didn’t miss out. They were each given a bowl of soy ice cream with chocolate shavings. Later, they sampled some banoffee pie (made by my mum). Things were put right in their world after all. 🙂

Each Monday, I feature a delicious vegan recipe that is enjoyed by my (extended) family  – I hope your family enjoys it too!

34 Responses to {Recipe} Kahlua Chocolate Cheesecake (no-bake, vegan)

1. Lissa says:

Wow, this looks wonderful! 🙂

2. Andra Muhoberac says:

I’ve printed this one out. I don’t make desserts very often but this looks too good to pass up!

3. I think you know how I feel about this. Hubba hubba. Oh, but the poor tiny vegans…I can only imagine their fury.

It was a bit mean, wasn’t it?
      ‘Here is a delicious cake for Grandma, lets all sing happy birthday, but no, you can’t have any, and you can watch us eat it’.!!!
      And I do think I know how you feel about this cake 🙂

This cake totally rocked! I’m glad we added the Kahlua to the filling as well 🙂

5. Ruth Wbschll says:

I see a kid’s version in the pipeline. As scrumptions and decadant as this vegan cheesecake sounds, it is one of the foods I could only have a teaspoon of and then I’d have to go home and make a batch of no sugar, consciously food combined alternative to extricate myself from the pangs of chocolate/coffee/sugar withdrawal. I have experimented with alternatives to cheesecake base and found a very light, but satisfying alternative. Dehydrated apples ground up with spices (cardamom, cinnamon, vanilla, allspice, cloves, nutmeg), desiccated coconut (ground up also) and some coconut sugar crystals (optional for more sweetness) Mix with melted coconut and press onto your base for your cheesecake or other vegan filling.

Yes, it was rather decadent but I think that is permitted for birthdays. 🙂
      I like the sound of your base. Thanks for sharing it with us.

6. Starr says:

You had me at Kahlua 😉

I guess that is parental revenge…”you didn’t eat those vegan veggie things I made last week kids…so you can’t eat this vegan dessert!” 😉

Hahaha! I hadn’t thought of that! I think they were shocked. I’ve never made an ‘adults-only’ cake. Oh well. I think they’ve recovered.
      🙂

• narf77 says:

That cake was magnificent and I pinned it to share with my followers. I am trying to re-educate some of them who seem to be more interested in pies than healthy stuff…I am hoping that by pinning all kinds of vegan gorgeousness I might be able to sway them 😉

Oh great! Did you pin it to ‘desserts’ (right along side the curry paste)?!
        Haha!
        🙂

8. Ok, what? This needs to get in my mouth right now. This looks amazing!! When I clicked on it I thought it was going to be some long complicated recipe, but its not! I can totally do this. Thanks for sharing!

🙂 haha! Yes, it is really simple. You just have to remember to factor in refrigeration time. It’s not a ‘spur of the moment’ cake.
      🙂

9. Brittany says:

SHUT the front door!! This is UNREAL, one of the best things I have seen you make. OHH my gosh. For some reason I thought Kahlua had milk in it, but this is so exciting!

Haha! Your excitement is infectious 🙂
      Kahlua is vegan.
      It’s nice with chocolate soy milk apparently 😉 It is also nice in a soy latte 🙂
      It is divine in this cake. Subtle but flavoursome.

An easy yet very tasty cheesecake! I must make it soon! I will use other liquors too!

11. annov says:

I’ve been looking for the perfect vegan ‘cheesecake’ recipe and I think this might turn out to be it! Can’t wait to try it.

12. Pingback: {Recipe} Vegan Lunchbox Snacks | Made of Stars

13. Linda says:

Oh yum! This looks really, really good. We’ve got a few family birthdays coming up, so I’ll have to keep it in mind.

I’m still getting used to being able to eat creamy desserts. While I was eating dairy foods, I always got sick from mousse and cheesecake and things like that (of course, I realised a couple of years ago that I’m lactose intolerant – der!) – totally irrelevant now of course.

The great thing is (well, perhaps it’s not so great) that I can now eat all those yummy desserts because I make them with silken tofu instead. 😛

(Love the new-look blog, by the way!)

I was relieved to see the little ones didn’t miss out. It would be too cruel to see something this delicious and not be able to eat it 🙂

15. Oh wow, this looks amazing! I must try this next time I have a chocolate craving 🙂

16. nutellasum says: