{Recipe} Tarka Dahl

Winter is coming……

On Saturday, we plunged into winter.

I rummaged through my cupboard until I found a cardigan, and I dug out a pair of socks (for the first time since spring). The rain was incessant. I loved every minute of it!

By Sunday morning, Autumn had returned.

Today’s recipe is perfect for a wintery day.

splitpeas1

Yellow split peas

Dahl is a staple in our house. The dahl-making is left in Mat’s capable hands. We have clear divisions of labour in our household – he is the dahl maker and I am the cake baker.  I never cook dahl, and he never bakes cakes. We work to our strengths.

dahl2

Tarka dahl (dal) is a current favourite. The recipe consists of yellow split peas, cumin, ginger, garlic, coriander, black pepper, and garam masala.

The recipe is available here.

sproutedlentisl1

Sprouted green lentils

Variation:

Occasionally, Mat varies the recipe by using sprouted green lentils (instead of split peas), and by adding vegetables such as pumpkin, sweet potato, carrot, or potato.

Mat serves Tarka Dahl with basmati rice or brown rice. Don’t forget the mango chutney!

dahl3

Tarka Dahl made with sprouted green lentils & vegetables

Are you a winter person like me? or do you prefer the heat? What is your favourite winter indulgence?
Each Monday, I feature a delicious vegan recipe that is adored by my own family. I hope your family adores it too.

16 Responses to {Recipe} Tarka Dahl

1. Greg says:

Reblogged this on Animals Deserve to Live and commented:
    Doesn’t this sound yummy!

Maybe Mat can make this lovely dish when you guys come for dinner tomorrow night?! Haha 😉

3. Traci says:

I like the weather to be a temperate 92 🙂 But l love dahl!

4. Starr says:

Funny, you writing about the coming of winter. We’re just preparing for the summer here. I keep forgetting that we’re not all in the same hemisphere… I’m a winter girl too, cooler weather is nicer for baking 🙂

I’ve never tried dahl, but your pictures look so delicious I may have to change that!

Great idea of adding sprouted lentils! I think I would even make this dish in the heat of the summer – it just looks so darn good!

Having just come out of a very long and cold winter, I would have to say that winter is not my favourite month. 😉 I love summer! I love being by the water – swimming, kayaking, and canoeing are some of my favourite activites. I hope to take my kayak out on the river next Monday. I can’t wait!

Oh I like the sound of your plans for Monday!
      In all honesty, you probably wouldn’t regard my winter as winter. Our winters aren’t long. They aren’t cold by your standards. I would be bemoaning winter if I lived in your neck of the woods!
      Mat has been sprouting enthusiastically – lentils, beans, seeds. It’s great!

• uberdish says:

Yesterday we had snow again and flying ice pellets. Today is sunny, but very cold. To make me feel better, I’ll have to continue making my soups and try the salad you just posted with baked pumpkin/squash!

Oh that sounds intense! Flying ice pellets! Wow, when do you expect spring to make an appearance?
        Are you heating your soups at all? or having room-temp raw ones?

• uberdish says:

No soup for me right now – only for the family. 😦 I’m eating A LOT of mixed greens and sprouts and smoothies. 7 days to go!!

What a lovely dinner that I will make Tuesday evening! I love lentils every time of year, anyway! Your sprouted green letils look great!

I love winter weather and hearty dishes. I love simple pumpkin or minestrone soups with fresh bread on a cold winters night. Looking forward to the cold weather coming soon. That dahl looks lovely!

8. Linda says:

Ooh, we need that kind of food in Melbourne at the moment. I never cook dhal either – both my kids love it and often make it if it’s their turn to cook. We’ve never tried it with sprouted lentils though. That sounds REALLY good. I think I’ll suggest it to them next time…but I guess I’ll have to prepare a little in advance for that one so the sprouts are ready!

I am a great fan of all things dhal. Thick and served with rice it’s a meal and thin it down it’s soup. Love the stuff and it has been something that I have eaten more times than I would like to admit :).