{Recipe} Banana Oat Bars

I am all ‘chocolated’ out! Yes, it is a bona fide condition (and word). Not one I ever thought I would suffer from but, nonetheless, that is the case.

I hope you have had an enjoyable Easter.

Today I am featuring a healthy, chocolate-free bar. One that is suitable for lunchboxes and picnics.

In fact, I baked it for a recent Vegan Parents Australia meet-up on the Gold Coast. The weather was glorious, and 7 families attended. The children were aged 4 months to 9 years. It was our largest Gold Coast meet-up to date. My kids had a ball!

bars1

Banana Oat Bars are loaded with nutritious ingredients. The taste is reminiscent of a muesli bar. They do not contain oil, refined sugar, or liquid sweeteners. They are loaded with Omega-3 fatty acids, and nourishing oats. They are simple and quick to prepare.

bars5

Yes, that is the entire ingredients list.

I made  a couple of small variations to the recipe.

The recipe requires a 1/2 cup of dates or raisins. Instead, I used 1/4 cup of chopped dried apricots and 1/4 cup of raisins. Rather than mash the bananas, as specified in the directions, I liquified them with an immersion blender.

Also, my bars were ready within 25 minutes (the recipe specifies a baking time of 30 mins).

bars2

The recipe is available here (scroll down to ‘Yummy Banana Oat Bars’).

You could drizzle the bars with melted chocolate if you wanted to jazz them up. Might be nice.  😉

APT7

APT7

During our weekend trip to the Gold Coast, we drove north to Brisbane to visit the Gallery of Modern Art (GOMA). We took the kids to the Asia-Pacific Triennial of Contemporary Art  (APT7).

APT3

APT7

It was a feast for the eyes, and ears.

APT6

It was impossible to photograph my favourite piece of the exhibition, Fukushima Esperanto by Japanese artist Tadasu Takamine. It was a multi-media experience of light, music, voice, shadow, and disparate objects. Click here for a description of Fukushima Esperanto, and some photos.

APT1

APT7

There were 13 activities for children, many of them craft based. My kids were in craft heaven!

APT5

Have you seen any great exhibitions, concerts, or shows lately?

APT7

APT7

Each Monday, I feature a delicious vegan recipe that is enjoyed by my family. I hope your family enjoys it too.

18 Responses to {Recipe} Banana Oat Bars

1. I don’t think I could ever get ‘chocolated’ out, in any case, these Banana Oat Bars look fab!

2. Xiomara says:

i haven’t been to a concert of exhibition lately….oh. a month ago i went to a photography exhibit featuring black artists during civil rights period in los angeles. it was great and inspired me to read Revolutionary Suicides by Huey Newton (co-founder of the Black Panther Party.

Speaking of Chocolated out, I made the cake you made on valentines day a few weeks ago, and it didn’t go well. the frosting was too thin (think i didn’t measure it right) and it tasted tooooo vinegary. I will try it again soon!! :p

Oh no 😦 Sounds like you were all vinegar-ed out!
      I just looked at the recipe again. Did you add the whole 1/4 cup of coffee to the frosting rather than just 3 tablespoons scooped out of the 1/4 cup of coffee?
      I can’t explain the vinegar problem.
      That’s a shame. It really is one of my absolute fave cakes. It has inspired me to search out other Chef Chloe recipes.
      I’m sorry it was a disappointment after I raved about it so much.

• Xiomara says:

I definitely messed up the liquid in the frosting. I think I added too much of it and then after pouring flour and sugar in it couldn’t fix it!!! I wasted a bag of powdered sugar.

I was probably tired when I tried it. I wanna try again though…:p

Oh no.
        I hope you try it again (when you’re not as tired) and enjoy it as much as I do. 🙂

3. That looks like so much fun! Also, I am SO SORRY that I haven’t replied to your email yet :/ x

4. Linda says:

And another lovely bar recipe from you! I’m going to try these for my morning tea at work. I get peckish and my co-workers hand around non-vegan cakes and lollies and chocolates. I usually stick to almonds and dates, but these look like they’d be a bit more special.

That website is really good. I keep hearing people talking about Dr Fuhrman on podcasts, but when I tried to track him down I misspelled his name and couldn’t find him. I’ll be checking that out for sure.

As for exhibitions and shows…nothing lately…but we did go to MONA in Hobart in January. Really good! Unfortunately we didn’t have long enough to take our time. I reckon I could spend a week there. It’s a good excuse to go back though. GOMA looks fantastic too.

Thanks Linda! I hope you try it. I made it again on the weekend using dried Turkish apricots and nectarine instead of apple. It is really moreish.
      I have never been to Hobart. I’m going to look at MONA online.
      I like Fuhrman’s (so easy to put the ‘h’ in the wrong place) G-BOMB concept. An easy way to recall the foods that he recommends one should eat every day- greens, berries, onions, mushrooms, beans, seeds. He states that they are the most nutrient dense foods on the planet.
      There is a page dedicated to this on his web site. You may find it interesting. It inspired me anyway!

5. Brittany says:

I wish I could say I’ve had too much chocolate lately, but alas I have not. Well I’ve had a lot, but I still want more. Ohhh man, such a dilemma.

These bars look great! And the installations at GOMA look awesome!

The bars look really tasty & what a fun trip you made with your kids: fun fun, fun!

8. Starr says:

Looks like a really fun museum! I’d love to spend a day there… Do you know what kind of poles those are, in the first museum picture? I know they’re not totems, and I don’t think they’re tiki. I think it’s interesting how different cultures came up with similar art forms without ever encountering each other.

9. Pingback: {Recipe} Vegan Lunchbox Snacks | Made of Stars