Why I Chose Homebirth

Something a little bit different today!

I am excited to announce that I am guest contributor at Discordia Zine. I write about my decision to birth Little Baker at home.

425982_3114627537608_709370672_n

Why I Chose Homebirth

In the pre-dawn darkness of Valentineโ€™s Day last year, I birthed my precious son into the warm water of a birthing pool.

My arms and heart embraced him. In my euphoria, I uttered words of love and welcome. Hello beautiful. Welcome home….

To read the rest, click here.

A big thank you to Bek for publishing my post.

15 Responses to Why I Chose Homebirth

1. My comment is awaiting moderation so will leave it here for ya…Love the post!
    I think you made an awesome decision for you and your family to have another homebirth and love hearing positive thoughts and personal stories on natural births. Thanks for sharing ๐Ÿ™‚ We choose an independent midwife with a very natural approach to birth as well which makes all the difference!

Thank you Lindsay! I thought you might like this ๐Ÿ™‚
      Interestingly, my midwife had worked as a homebirth midwife in NZ before I met her! It sounds like you have a great system. She told me a bit about her experiences there.
      Here, she was not allowed to write prescriptions or refer me for scans, etc.
      I’m happy to hear that you had an independent midwife. I wish all birthing women- wherever they birth- were fortunate enough to have access to an independent midwife throughout their pregnancy and through to the post-natal period.
      Thanks for your comment on Discordia too. I appreciate it.

• Very cool! We had an interesting experience where I rung my midwife to find that Zaedyn was coming out already. It was the odd night that the backup midwife wasn’t around, and you have to have 2 midwives for a homebirth here so we went to the closest place just to give birth. Would have loved to be at home, but then my entire labour was so I can’t complain :). Here they can do everything, or at least mine can so I never saw a doctor. Very personal experience having an independent midwife, and the 6 week postnatal at home is perfect, too!

Thanks for sharing all of that! ๐Ÿ™‚ Labouring at home is beautiful.
        I saw my GP a couple of times for prescriptions and referrals. She is very supportive of homebirth. The private Ob that I met with, wrote the prescriptions for medications (eg. syntocinon) that were required for the homebirth.
        I know my midwife felt as though she was hindered a bit because she was used to doing all that in NZ.
        Maybe you’ll be at home next time ๐Ÿ˜‰

• I wish! Ended up having a PPH so am supposed to go to hospital next time although I will be going to a birthing centre. The ones here are awesome though with birthing pools and even the postnatal rooms have double beds with your own toilet, couch, tea and coffee for visitors, etc so the next best option :). I am definitely all for homebirths though and think it is awesome for those that have them.

2. Xiomara says:

Wow! And WOA! I’ve never thought about any of the points you discussed, but think the.points you made about pregnant women having the right to.control their body is a good one. I’ve never really imagined anyone having a homebirth, but that’s probably for. “unacceptable”.reasons that out hospitals as the only choice. Awesome post and beautiful.images ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi! I’m happy to hear that you found the post thought-provoking.
      I read an article that mentioned there has been an increase in homebirths in the US in recent years.
      Some European countries have had publicly funded home birth programmes for years, and wonder what all the fuss is about!
      I still feel emotional (in a good way!) when I look at the birth photos. I have such beautiful memories of the birth. I can’t believe how quickly the year has gone!

• Xiomara says:

One thing I wonder about though is how accessible it is for some people to have a homebirth. I guess i’m kinda interested in the economics part of it. I only ask this because in my case the insurance would most likely not cover a homebirth, heck, they don’t even cover me going to any type of homeopathic treatment or Dr.s visits.

Just a question that’s floating around in my head :p

In Australia, there is limited access to government funded homebirth. At the time that I was pregnant with him, there was no government-funded programme in my area. We have paid the total cost of private midwives on all occasions(no rebates).But I have never begrudged the cost. It has been worth it! The cost varies between midwives, and between city and country.
        I know that there was at least one health fund (ie. medical insurance) that covered homebirth in Australia. However, I think that they stopped covering it in the last year or two.

That’s great for you!

4. motherwho says:

Popping over to have a read! I had a homebirth too with my second baby four months ago and loved it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi! I hope you enjoy the post. Ah, I could go on and on about the joy of homebirth! I’m happy to hear that you had a positive homebirthing experience.
      Thanks for visiting. ๐Ÿ™‚

5. That was an excellent read over at discordia. While I’ve never wanted to be a parent, I’m – unsurprisingly – totally in favour of women choosing to give birth wherever and however they want. I remember reading about the pools years ago and thinking they sounded eminently sensible. I also remember where a woman wanted home birth in the Uk and was getting seriously victimised for it for exactly all the reasons you state. No control by the mostly male medical profession. I’m so pleased it’s worked out well for you, that you have had supportive health professionals, and great that you get to write about it and publish your experiences of home birthing.