A Scorcher = A Simple Meal

Today was the kind of day that Aussies refer to as a scorcher.

The temperature peaked at (almost) 36 degrees C in my part of the world (that’s just shy of 97 degrees Fahrenheit).

At 6pm, it was 30 degrees. In my book, that is too hot to be using an oven or stove. Time for a fruit platter and tofu burgers!

On the weekend, we bought a tray of delectable mangoes. 14 mangoes for $18. It has been mango heaven here:

Mangoes

With an abundance of these golden beauties languishing in our kitchen, mango was sure to make an appearance in our meal tonight.

I prepared a couple of platters of chopped, sliced and grated raw vegies, plus a platter of vibrant and colourful fruits.

I cooked thinly sliced, store-bought Spicy Tofu in our ‘cafe style’ sandwich press.

We each started with a seeded, wholemeal wheat bread roll – and constructed our own tofu burgers.

My burger consisted of homemade white bean dip, spicy tofu, Macadamia and Basil Pesto, cos lettuce leaves (from my friend’s garden), baby spinach leaves, grated carrot, tomato, red capsicum (bell pepper), cucumber and vegan cheese:

Tofu Burger1

We also munched on snow peas.

Our fruit platter featured green grapes, pomegranate, mangoes, nectarine, red apple and cherries:

Fruit platter

fruit platter1

The kids came up with some unique combinations. Our 3 year old son included a de-seeded cherry on his bread roll, while his older brother (6) included 3 grapes. My daughter was more conventional in her burger preparation, with a finished product similar to mine. All burgers were eaten, happily.

Little Baker sat on his dad’s lap and munched on cucumber for a few minutes, dropped his nectarine on the floor, and then lost the plot. He could not be consoled (My 3 year old son speculated that his little brother was crying because ‘he wishes he was older’!). Time for a breastfeed and bed!

We eat like this frequently in summer. My kids enjoy constructing their own dinner. I relish the simplicity of the preparation, and the fact that my children eat an abundance of raw food when it is served in this manner. Moreover, the clean-up is quick. No saucepans to wash!

Once the kids were asleep in their warm, stuffy bedrooms (poor darlings), I indulged in a couple of Billy’s Farm Wheat Syrup Waffles, smeared with Giacometta dark chocolate and hazelnut spread. Now that was a sophisticated dessert!

What is your favourite ‘heat wave’ meal?

28 Responses to A Scorcher = A Simple Meal

1. Did you like the hummus?
    Your fruit plate is gorgeous, by the way!

Yes, thank you for your recipe! I loved the method of preparing the garlic.
      I have to confess- I did add a tablespoon or two of tahini!
      It was delicious on my tofu burger, and for dipping with snow peas.

2. Oh …. mournful sigh of envy …. Yeah, it couldn’t be feeling less like a scorcher here. I do have faint memories of vibrant salads and gorgeous local fruit but … oh…too far away. I do remember that when I was little, I always loved self-assembled meals of sandwiches and tacos and such. It’s amazing how that hands-on approach to meals makes food so much fun 🙂

I love your dinner! Wish I was there! Nothing like fresh fruit on a beautiful hot day. (If it makes you feel better, we have rain, wind and it is COLD).

I would happily welcome you to my dinner table Angela! I think it’s going to be a long, hot summer here. I’ll try not to complain too much!

4. Xiomara says:

I’m definitely making that burger this weekend. I’ve yet to make or buy a burger I like. Thought I did, but I ate so many of the vegan burgers I bought in one sitting that it’ll be awhile beforboughte I eat the remaining 6 Patties sitting in my freezer :p

Yeah, some store-bought vegie burgers are about as appealing as cardboard. I haven’t made any myself in years. I have a new recipe book – Let Them Eat Vegan (Dreena Burton), and she has a whole chapter on vegie burgers. I might have to try one of her recipes.
      What are the ingredients in the patties in your freezer?

5. Wow, we are all looking for cheaper mangoes here! Love the beautiful fruit plate. I am excited for hot days & summer fruit 🙂

The ‘cheapest’ mangoes we ever got were 2 bags of free ones from neighbours who had a tree but didn’t like mangoes! Three weeks ago we bought a tray of 22 mangoes for $22. By comparison, they are $3 each in one of our local supermarkets.
      The kids have been getting a cut-up mango in their lunch boxes, and we have been adding them to our green smoothies.

6. Vanessa says:

Beautiful fruit and perfect snack for the hot temperatures! It’s warm here even in the northern hemisphere so I can’t imagine how high temps must be for you!

Are you having unseasonably warm weather?
      I’m not a fan of very hot weather. I know some people love it. I prefer mild days. Autumn (fall) and early spring are lovely here. Summer fruit is one of the best things about the weather heating up.

• Vanessa says:

Mild is always nice. Yes we’ve been wearing shorts and long sleeve tshirts and it’s winter here! Normally it is snowing outside. I’m not complaining though 🙂

7. Those mangos look divine! They’re probably my favourite fruit but tend to be expensive where I live 😦 I think my favourite hot weather food is a meal-size salad with lots of different veggies, legumes and seeds or nuts!

We’ve been getting into mango too of late! They are so good in green smoothies. I’m going to up my intake of raw foods this summer – you’re right, this weather isn’t very conducive to having an oven or stove on!

Sounds good to me.
      We had mango in our green smoothie this morning.
      Are you enjoying your green smoothies? What greens are you using?
      Did you like my dessert?!

• susykat says:

Your dessert sounded absolutely superb 🙂
        I have been using baby spinach, English spinach, and beetroot leaves (alternating between them). This morning I had a banana, mango, strawberry, goji berry and English spinach one with flaxseed and chia seeds. With ice and a dash of soy milk. Very delicious! Now I’m starting to feel guilty about my morning coffee, which I have every day when I get in to work. Is it a bit incongruous to have a green smoothie, followed by a coffee?

Yes, I wonder the same thing! The first thing I have in the morning is a green smoothie. A bit later, I have something to eat. A couple of hours after the smoothie (sometimes earlier), I have a soy latte. Maybe it’s time we ditched the coffee?!
        I haven’t tried beetroot leaves in my smoothie.I also haven’t tried the dash of soy milk.

Yeah, I’ve been thinking more and more that the coffee isn’t doing me any favours, but I am kinda addicted 😉

Beetroot leaves were good in the smoothie – we got them from Fiona’s garden. She grows a lot of leafy greens!

10. Woah, that burger looks amazing! Want!