{Recipe} Pumpkin Lasagne

Yes, another pumpkin recipe! A savoury one this time.

Today’s recipe was created by the very talented Adele of Vegie Head. I have prepared several Vegie Head recipes, and each has been delectable. This one is my favourite.

I made pumpkin lasagne for the first time when I was invited to a friend’s house for dinner. I offered to make the main dish. It’s always a bit risky to make a recipe for the very first time when you are going to be serving it to people outside your immediate family! But, as I expected, this dish was a success. It was devoured in no time!

And, it quickly became a family favourite.

The original recipe is available here (scroll down). After having made this lasagne several times, I have tweaked it a tiny bit to suit my family.

Quantity – Serves 6

You will need:

4 cups pumkin, diced (I use Kent)

dried lasagne sheets (I use wholemeal)

1 jar of store bought passata sauce (680g) *

2 cups baby spinach leaves

1 cup fresh basil

1 tbsp olive oil

1 cup raw cashews (do not soak)

2 1/4 cups non-dairy milk (I use almond)

1 cup water

3/4 cup savoury yeast flakes (i.e nutritional yeast)

1 tsp miso paste (if you don’t have miso, substitute with up to 1tsp salt)

juice of 1/2 a lemon

1 tbsp rice flour (or corn flour or plain wheat flour)

fresh black pepper, to taste

1/4 – 1/2 cup non-dairy cheese, grated (optional)

Method

Pre-heat oven to 180 deg C/350 F

Spread diced pumpkin evenly on a lined baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil (optional). Bake for 30 mins:

In a food processor, chop the spinach and basil, and add the tablespoon of olive oil. Combine. Set aside:

In a food processor or high-powered blender, process the cashews until they become a fine flour (I like to leave the cashews a little bit chunky, so I use a food processor):

In a saucepan, combine the water and non-dairy milk. Bring to a gentle boil. Add yeast flakes, ground cashews, miso paste, lemon juice, rice flour, pepper. Whisk until smooth. Simmer, and stir occasionally. The sauce will thicken. Set aside. The savoury yeast gives this sauce a cheesy taste:

Pour some passata sauce into a large baking dish. Spread evenly across the bottom, using the back of a spoon. (This step is important, as it ensures that the bottom lasagne sheets cook properly).

Layer in the following order: lasagne sheets**, passata sauce, basil & spinach pesto, pumpkin, cashew sauce. Repeat until the pumpkin and pesto have been used up:

For the final layer, cover lasagne sheets with the remaining passata sauce, then top with the remaining cashew sauce (there is no need to be neat about it!).

Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven.

Remove the foil and sprinkle the top of the lasagne with non-dairy cheese (optional) -we used Notzarella:

Return baking dish, uncovered, to the oven and bake for a further 15-2o minutes.

This lasagne is truly scrumptious:

Serve with a salad of raw cucumber, tomato, red onion, lettuce, baby spinach, red capsicum (bell pepper) and avocado.

This recipe is included here with the permission of Adele McConnell of Vegie Head. Thanks Adele. 🙂

Notes:

* Last night, we used homemade, fresh lasagne sheets.

Yes, Mat had the pasta machine out again!

The lasagne only requires baking for 20 minutes (covered) if using fresh pasta sheets. Once foil is removed, bake for a further 15-20 minutes.

** In place of passata sauce, you could use a large tin (810g) of chopped tomatoes, pureed.

I have listed substitutes so that you do not have to run out to buy miso or rice flour, for example, if you do not already have them on hand. By all means, run out and buy them if you want to, but know that you can use substitutes if that is the easier option.

This recipe can be made in stages. Sometimes I bake the pumpkin earlier in the day, then store it in the fridge until moments before I am ready to assemble the lasagne. The pesto could be made ahead of time too.

Each Monday, I feature a delicious vegan recipe – one that is enjoyed by my own family. I hope your family enjoys it too.

17 Responses to {Recipe} Pumpkin Lasagne

1. sookisu says:

Wow, this looks absolutely amazing!

2. Oh my … I love this idea! As soon as I can get my hands on some raw cashews, I’m trying it.

3. Ally says:

Great! Let me know how it goes. 🙂

I love the cashew sauce recipe – it sounds delicious! And now I feel inspired to make fresh lasagne sheets with our pasta maker!

The cashew sauce is amazing. You could stir it through pasta for a quick, yummy meal.
      The great thing about the homemade lasagne sheets is that you can make them the length you need. We used a rectangular pyrex, and Mat made the sheets the exact length we needed. He still had to cut some to size to achieve the necessary width, but that was so much easier than trying to neatly break dried lasagne sheets – I never have much luck with that.
      Have you checked out the Vegie Head site? Lots of yummy recipes there.
      Let me know if you make the pumpkin lasagne.

5. smiles00 says:

Nice recipe – I miss that aussie love with the pumpkin … we have Daiya cheese around here as an alternative – whole foods may carry it in the USA not sure … I will try your recipe for sure .. thanks for sharing .. have a great day …

Hi! Oh please let me know if you try the recipe. I’d love to know what you think of it.
      We love pumpkins in our house! I am only a recent convert to using them in sweet foods. I have always regarded them as a savory food.
      I have some Aussie friends who have been lucky enough to try Daiya. Maybe we’ll have it here one day. Have you tried Vegusto vegan cheese? It’s made in Switzerland.

• Andra Muhoberac says:

The best vegan cheese I have ever had is made by an American company called Galaxy. They have the most amazing “mozarella” shreds. I tried them when I was visiting my mum in California a couple of months ago. They also do a very nice “cheddar” style shredded “cheese”. Jessica Bailey at the Cruelty Free Shop said the company doesn’t want to export so we miss out. Sorry, just thought I’d mention it.

Hi Andra, thanks for mentioning it! I haven’t heard of Galaxy. It’s a shame they aren’t interested in exporting it to Australia.
        I’d be interested to know if anyone else has tried it.
        🙂

6. smiles00 says:

Hi – yes I will let you know when I try your recipe – also thanks for the tip on the Vegusto Cheese I will see if we have it around here .. otherwise not to worry we haven’t missed the cheese much and find it now after 14 months being vegan, a treat 🙂 .. have a great day to enjoy .. grow those pumpkins 🙂

Yes, I can relate. Vegan cheese is a bit of a novelty or a treat for us too. For the first decade of our veganism, decent vegan cheese was not available here.
      I just like to try new ones when they come on to the market. I have only eaten Vegusto once because it is not available locally. I think it is my fave though.
      🙂

7. Pingback: Sunshine Award! Whee! « Hard Head Vegan

8. Pingback: {Recipe} Chocolate-Covered Crunchy Speculoos Balls « Made of Stars

9. Pingback: {Recipe} Kahlua Chocolate Cheesecake (no-bake, vegan) | Made of Stars

10. billiep says:

my little one is allergic to cashews, can you recommend an alternative?

Hi!
      Is your little one allergic to macadamia nuts?
      If not, I would suggest using those in this recipe. I haven’t tried it but I have had success with using macadamia nuts instead of cashews in other recipes.
      I hope that helps.