Taking a Leap.

Today is Monday. But instead of heading off to work, Mat will be spending the day at home* with me and our youngest boys.  He will do the same tomorrow, and the day after….and the day after…

No, he isn’t on annual leave. He is unemployed.

For many people, this situation would be frightening and anxiety provoking.  For us, it is a relief.

Recently, we were faced with a huge decision – for Mat to continue working in a job that was crushing his soul and igniting anxiety, or to turn his back on a career that had been important to him for many years and was our main source of income.

Every now and then, an opportunity presents itself- an opportunity to re-evaluate the direction that our lives are heading in. This was our time.  We could continue on the well-worn path, or we could break free and forge our own path.  We chose the latter.

Where will we be in 3 months? I’m not sure, but one thing is certain: We won’t be on the street, and our kids won’t be hungry (which is something, sadly, that millions of people can’t say).

On Friday, I received an email from a beautiful friend that I have not been in contact with for many months. She had heard about Mat’s resignation.

‘What are you and Mat going to be up to now? Hmmm? I’m deeply interested to hear your thoughts on life, love and this crazy beautiful planet. A tip from me: whatever it is, do it now. Take the leap.

Love, Sienna’

I was stunned.

Only minutes earlier, Mat and I had been discussing an idea, a plan that has been taking shape in our hearts and minds over the past few days.  Is my friend psychic? How did she know that I needed to read the words: take the leap.

Many of us are too scared to take a leap. We are wary of change, and the great unknown.  It can be easy – and safe –  to stay on the well-worn track, just doing what we have always done. Or what has always been expected of us.

I see Mat’s resignation as a catalyst for us to re-evaluate our life journey. Where are we headed? Who do we want to be? What kind of life do we want to provide for our children?

Mat and I are open to opportunity and adventure. It feels amazing!

Just 3 weeks ago,  we could not have envisaged that we would have the courage to take a leap into the unknown.

Life will be slower and calmer. Our children will get more of him. We are feeling more connected than we have in months. We prioritised Mat’s mental health and sense of contentment over career advancement and money. It is a wonderful feeling!

We took a leap together.  I know we will be brave enough to take the next one.

* We might stay at home, or we might take the kids to a park, or the library. But one thing is certain – we will appreciate and savour the time we spend together.

8 Responses to Taking a Leap.

1. Liz says:

Talk about psychic, my husband and I are at the same point now and having the same discussions. I will get him to read your lovely post, maybe that will help him with his decisions. Cannot wait to hear how things go.
    Liz xox

Oh wow! That’s interesting. Let me know what you guys decide. Good luck with your decision making.
      Coming to a big decision can be hard, but we feel really good about it now that we have enacted the change. A huge weight has been lifted from our shoulders. We can breathe!
      Take a leap. 🙂

What exciting times! It’s so good to be able to view a situation that would normally be regarded as negative (such as unemployment) as a spark for change! It’s great that you all have more time to connect as a family now. I’m looking forward to hearing about your plans for new adventures!

I am feeling very positive and hopeful- I hope I can sustain it!
      I am enjoying the slower pace, and the time that we now have available to spend together.
      Thanks for your support Su.

3. Kerryn P says:

This is great news! Life is short – to spend any more time at unlovable work than is absolutely necessary is absurd. Especially if there are little people you’d rather be playing with. I like your blog 🙂

Thanks Kerryn! 🙂 I appreciate your comments.
      And I totally agree- life IS short. The older I get the more I comprehend that fact!
      I hope you are well and happy 🙂

4. An inspiring post. The Beet-Eating Heeb can relate: His new job as director of Jewish Vegetarians of North America involves some financial uncertainty. But it is incredibly fulfilling in all other ways.

Hi BEH 🙂
      Thanks so much for your comment. I wish you all the best in your new job. I’m glad you took the leap. It sounds as though it will be a very satisfying experience for you.
      I enjoyed your piece on JSF.