{Recipe} Rocky Road

rockyroad1

I regard rocky road as a Christmas time indulgence.

Aargh, Christmas!

I know that some of you are preparing for Thanksgiving, while others may still be recovering from Halloween (or the Virtual Vegan Potluck 4.0!). In that case, the thought of Christmas is a little confronting. Nevertheless, it will be here before we know it!

I have been considering the recipes that my family may indulge in for Christmas lunch this year.

Well, in all honesty, I’ve mostly been thinking about the desserts. :) But, one has to start somewhere when planning a menu!

rockyroad2

Vegan marshmallows are quite pricey in my part of the world, so rocky road only makes an appearance in our home on special occasions, like Christmas.

I use dark chocolate or ‘milk-style’ non-dairy chocolate, but you could use non-dairy white chocolate if you prefer. Many rocky road recipes contain glace cherries, but I prefer to use dried papaya. You may prefer to use another variety of dried fruit, or a vegan ‘gum- style’ lolly (candy) like ‘gummy bears’.

rockyroad8

Ingredients

250g/8.5oz non-dairy chocolate

100g/3.5oz vegan marshmallows, roughly chopped

2 generous Tbsp dried papaya (paw paw) OR other dried fruit OR vegan ‘gum-style’ lollies, finely chopped

1/2 cup raw macadamia nut pieces

1/3 cup desiccated or shredded coconut

Method

1. Line a loaf tin with baking paper.

2. Add all of the ingredients, except chocolate, to a medium mixing bowl. Mix well.

3. Melt the chocolate. I use a large glass bowl, resting over a saucepan that contains a small amount of boiling water. Ensure that the boiling water does not touch the bottom of the bowl. Do not allow water or steam to come into contact with the chocolate. Once the chocolate has completely melted, remove the bowl from the heat.

4. Add the other ingredients to the bowl of melted chocolate. Mix well with a spatula, and ensure that the ingredients are well-coated by chocolate.

5.  Scoop the rocky road mixture into the loaf tin, and press down with the spatula.

6. Refrigerate for approximately 90 minutes, or until ‘set’. Then remove rocky road from the tin, and cut into 12 pieces.

Indulge!

rockyroad3

Are you wondering what the tiny vegans think of rocky road?

4- year-old Tiny Vegan doesn’t like marshmallows. That rules out rocky road for him, since I’m not going to make it without its star ingredient. And, Little Baker is too little for chocolate. The other tiny vegans enjoy it, of course. No surprises there!

But, now that I have made rocky road in order to share the recipe with you, I probably won’t be making it for Christmas day after all. I have just had my rocky road ‘fix’ for the year.

What is your favourite Christmas day dessert?

Every Monday, I feature a delicious vegan recipe that is enjoyed by my own family. I hope your family enjoys it too!

Ally   :)

If you missed the recipe that I took to the Virtual Vegan Potluck, click here

About these ads

19 Responses to {Recipe} Rocky Road

1. The Vegan 8 says:

Looks delicious Ally! I’ve yet to try vegan marshmallows, but am dying to! Do they taste like regular marshmallows?

Hi Brandi!
      In all honesty, I only have a vague memory of non-vegan marshmallows. It’s been over 17 years since I ate one. But, I do think that the vegan ones (Sweet and Sara brand) are stickier than non-vegan marshmallows. I don’t remember gelatine-based marshmallows being so sticky. But that is a minor issue.
      I hope you are well. :)

This looks divine!

3. Poppy says:

Looks delicious Ally! I LOVE Rocky Road and love your use of papaya, macadamia and coconut. I will definitely make this for my hampers this year! :D

Rocky road only ever made an appearance at Christmas in our family and it was cram packed full of deliciousness but now I can have vegan rocky road I think it might be time to bring it back as a new family tradition. Yours looks scrumptious Ally. Cheers for the share :). Lucky you with those macadamias and marshmallows. No vegan marshmallows here.

5. Christine Waters says:

Ally, I’m really looking forward to making your Rocky Road recipe. I will try & hold off & just make it for Christmas Day. This weakness, of eating the treat before the specific event, may run in the Family !!! Do you buy your Chocolate from the Health Food Store? Is there any particular brand you prefer? After being a Chocoholic all my life, I find I hardly ever eat any chocolate any more. Can you tell me your favourite brands for cooking? Love Chris xx

Hi Chris!
      I am finding it harder to track down non-dairy chocolate in supermarkets these days. I am disappointed that most of the ‘so-called’ dark chocolate on the shelves contains milk powder or butter oil.

Sweet William is a local (to you) brand (Matraville!) that is readily available in supermarkets. The blocks don’t contain palm oil, which is a positive aspect (the choc chips do though).

If I buy chocolate in health food shops it is usually for eating as is, not baking. I found a new chocolate this week, at our local independent grocer. It is dark, fair trade, and comes in a few varieties. Eco farm brand. I tried the Aztec berry variety. It was delectable!

I really hope you like the rocky road. Actually, make sure you set some aside for yourself on Christmas day. It’s sure to be snapped up by the non-vegan contingent. :)

I hope you are well. Lots of love. xx

6. I have to be honest, I have yet to taste a vegan marshmallow! This recipe looks heavenly, but like you I think I’ll reserve it for Christmas (it’s quite an indulgence!). :)

7. Ooooh…fella would love this! I’ll be getting my hands on some Dandies (the vegan marshmallows, not the Victorian prettyboys) and making this as a special treat. Yum!

Hahaha! Yes, go for the fluffy, sweet type of Dandies over the pretty boys any day of the week!

Actually, I think I have tried the Dandies, but it seems easier to get the Sweet n Sara brand here at the moment. I do have to order them online though.

I hope Fella loves it. :)

I love your take on this special Rocky road,…I Will make this version for Christmas gifts!!! 😃

9. Pingback: {Recipe} Peach, Mango and Raspberry Trifles | Made of Stars

10. Pingback: Top 10 Quick and Healthy Vegan Christmas Candy Recipes! | Honk If You're Vegan

11. lizziefit says:

Oh my goodness this looks to die for. I’ve been researching almond bark & other related candy but its tough to find good vegan version of this stuff. Thank you!:)

Hi Lizzie! Thank you. Almond bark sounds scrumptious. I have a recipe for pistachio and cranberry bark, with (dairy free) white chocolate and non-dairy ‘milk’ chocolate. It is simple to make, and looks spectacular.

12. Pingback: Vegan Christmas Cookie Sampler | watch hatch fly

13. anna says:

That looks so delicious! I’m always looking for new and healthy vegan recipes since I’m not vegan myself yet am interning with a vegan blog. This rocky road is like the best of both worlds!

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 410 other followers